Here’s the trick to cooking cedar plank salmon. You have to heat the plank first.
- 1 (1-2 pound) salmon fillet
- Salt and pepper
- Soak a cedar plank in water for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, season salmon with salt and pepper and set out at room temperature. For a larger piece of fish, cut it in half or thirds.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium.*
- Place cedar plank on the grill. Heat for five minutes. Turn plank over.
- Place salmon or salmon pieces on the hot cedar plank. Close the grill lid and cook for 20 minutes, longer for a bigger fish.
- Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes, or wait and serve at room temperature.
- * To make in the oven, preheat the oven to 375. Place cedar plank on a grate inside a sheet pan. Heat for 20 minutes. Turn the plank over and place the fish on top. Put back in the oven and continue with the recipe.
You can’t be just throwing the plank onto the grill and put the salmon on there cold. It’s like pre-heating the oven.
Sam will tell you!
So after you light your charcoal and let it get nice and toasty. Then put your cedar plank down on top and close the lid of the grill.
After 5 minutes, flip the cedar plank over.